Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Chance Romance

I have an announcement to make. I am going to be a grandmother. Yes, I am much too young. No, I am not in denial about my age, not at all.

It’s not my 12-year-old that is making me a grandmother, it’s my other baby. My three year old fur baby, Chance. He’s a small black Pomeranian. We have a friend that has a Pomeranian named Shrimp Scampi. Shrimp because she is tiny, Scampi because she scampers everywhere she goes.

She’s a girly baby doll, about half the size of Chance. But when she decides she’s had enough foolishness, she can bare her teeth at you with the best of them.

Scampi is a smart little thing too. Her big brother is a Lab. If Scampi wants to bark at something larger than her (which is pretty much everything) she first runs under the legs of her big brother. Then she tells the world her opinion, safe and protected.

Our friends wanted puppies, and thought Chance was, well, the man for the job. So now Chance is going to be a daddy.

I’m not sure the dog that cowers under the bed in fear of the vacuum cleaner, growls at thunder, and walks around with a pink teddy bear in his mouth is father material. He still has some growing up to do himself.

The dog that is having babies is addicted to his own baby. Chance absolutely, positively must have his little pink bear in his sight at all times. Most of the time, it is in his mouth. When he isn’t chewing on it, he is laying on it.

When Baby gets a bath, Chance goes spastic until Baby is safe and sound back in Chance’s possession. And when Baby is finally worn out from too much love, we have to go to the only store in town that sells Baby clones, and buy another one just exactly like it. In fact, we keep duplicate Baby’s on hand, in case Baby meets a fatal accident on nights or weekends.

I can ask Chance "Where’s Baby?" or tell him "Go get your Baby" and he will go get the bear. When we need Chance to get in his crate, go to a certain room, come in from outside, or do something he doesn’t particularly want to do; the fastest way to get him to obey is to grab Baby. That dog will go anywhere or do anything if the bear is there.

I’m not sure what to think about my own fur baby having babies. Our friends told us we could have pick of the litter, to which we immediately replied no thanks. One human child and one doggie child is enough for our family. I love Chance, more than I ever thought I would, but our lives are such that one dog is all we need.

However, I am very excited to meet these little ones when they come along. I’m anxious to see what they look like and see what characteristics they have of their mom and dad.
Chance and Scampi are both funny, loving, sweet little doggies. I can’t wait to meet my grandpuppies. With their parents, there is a good "Chance" the new little "Shrimps" are sure to be the cutest, most interesting little fluff balls ever.

2 comments:

Johnnie Gambill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Johnnie Gambill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.