Sunday, November 25, 2007

Tis The Season: Of Thanks And Gifts Already Given

The (deep-fried) turkey has been eaten; the last of Grandpa's famous (and fabulous) pecan pie is gone. The day set aside to stop and give Thanks is over. With it comes the rush of the holiday season, the gearing up for other days we will spend with family and friends.

This time of year always inspires me to look back, and for me personally, this has been an incredibly hard year. My body decided to rebel, and let me know it in all kinds of ways. Pain, pain, and more pain has been my constant companion this year, following me like a shadow that I just couldn't escape from.

We learned some hard news from my doctor at the Mayo Clinic this year. It rocked my world, and in a way I mourned for a little while. But you have to live while you can, and eventually I stopped mourning for what I had lost, for what my future would hold, and started embracing the here and now. I'm going to make the best of what I've been given. That has always been my creed, I just lost sight of it for a little while this year.

That best includes pain, and there's just no way around that. I am going to hurt, every hour of every day. Some days and some hours are worse than others, but I am going to hurt. So, I am going to deal with it, every hour of every day. With a smile, hopefully, and a good nature.

It has been hard on my family this year, watching my journey through this difficult time. Though Thanksgiving is over, I am so thankful for my family. I simply could not cope without their strength and support. It is harder in many ways on them, because their love for me is great.

They have spent this year making that long, long trek to Mayo; driving Logan to school when I was too sick to drive; cooking and cleaning and doing my laundry when I could not, letting me stay with them when I was too ill to stay at my own home, supporting me and uplifting me and encouraging me.

It would be very easy for my family to get tired of this foolishness, as I often do. For them to have something better to do, to be too busy with their own lives to help me cope with mine. Yet they never complain, they never make me feel guilty, they never make me feel like I am intruding. It is an amazing gift, and one I am grateful for.

So even though Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is not yet here, I have plenty to be thankful, plenty of gifts to be grateful for.

My husband Gary, who is my rock. My stronghold, my shoulder, the one who loves me above all others, no matter what. My Mom and Dad, who do so much that people never know about and do it quietly, because it is who they are. Gary and I simply could not get through this nightmare without them. They are Logan's other parents. It began out of necessity, but I have come to realize it may very well be one of the best things that could have ever happened to my child.

My sister, Teresa. She calls me every single day. She sends me cards. She makes me laugh and lifts me up and makes me feel like the strongest and the bravest and smartest person in the world. Of course, I'm not. But my sister believes in me, so of course, I am.

Gary's mom and dad, who will do anything we ask of them without question or complaint, immediately. Gary's sisters, who are always there when I call, to vent my frustrations and to listen.

My family. The thing I am most thankful for. And the very best gift of all.

No comments: