Sunday, September 7, 2008

Unconventional Wisdom

I’m not into politics as a general rule. I don’t consider myself a Democrat, a Republican, or even an "other." I just consider myself an American.

I don’t care what label a politician wears. I want them to do what they say they are going to do. I want them to be honest, and after they get elected, I want them to represent the public that elected them instead of being concerned only about their own best interest.

Yeah, I’ve already been told that I am simple minded when it comes to politics. I like to be informed, but I despise all the hot air and posturing that involves the election season. For the most part, I stay as far away as I can from political commentators. I’ll make up my own mind, thanks.

This year is going to be interesting. We have some of the same old same old...a couple of a bit past middle aged white guys. Then we have some new and different. An African American man and a Caucasian woman.

I’m not sure what I think about Obama. I support his right to run completely and whole heartedly. But there is just something about him that still leaves me wondering.

I had no problem with that when Hillary was a candidate. I don’t like her in the least. While I would vote for a woman for president, I wouldn’t vote for that particular woman.

I’m an equal opportunity malcontent. I’m not all that thrilled with McCain either. In a country of millions of people, these are the best candidates we have? Whereas Obama leaves me concerned, McCain leaves me cold. I’m not sure which is worse.

The one candidate I really like is Sarah Palin. I would vote for her for President. You can’t tell me she doesn’t have experience. She has all the experience she needs. She is a mother of five. She can handle anything.

Peace negotiations? Been there, done that. Tie breaking votes? Absolutely. Being the "attack dog" for the president? I will let her tell you about that
"The difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom....the lipstick." Yeah, she has it handled.

Forget that she is governor of the largest state in the country. That experience and insight and ability means nothing compared to what she has learned as a mother to five children.

I’m not much on politics, so I’m not sure if I can write in my vote for president. I’m for Sarah. I would love to see her tell Iraq and Iran to sit down, shut up and behave or else. I think they would listen. You just don’t mess with a mother of five.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a mother of 3, a great mom I might add. The perfect? No, and I don't presume that any other mother is either. Being a mother of 3, 4, 5 children or no children at all does not give anyone the 'clout' to run a country. Running a household is a FAR cry from running a country.
And, if you are going off the basis that she would be a good prez bc she is a 'mother'..look at the mistakes her daughter has made. I know that in reality and actuallity that Palin isn't a horrible mother bc her teenage daughter is pregnant. But, she did take her eye off the ball long enough to allow it to happen. Furthermore, the fact that she IS a mother to 5 concerns me even more.
As i said, i am a mother myself, therefore, I am a woman of course so I believe in women's rights and women can do just as much as men can. However, she is the mother to not only a pregnant teen, but, a mentally challenge child. I am concerned that HER concern is being VP and not being thier for 2 of the 5 kids she does have. Being any type of political head is going to be very time consuming and draining. IMHO, more so than most any other job you can have. TO bring her children into this fiasco is a horrible idea in my opinion. Like I said, her youngest child is mentally challenged...she needs as much of her mothers attention as possible, and i personally feel like she is putting all of her children, especially the youngest on the backburner for her own personal gain.
So, no, the McCain/Palin ticket will not be getting my vote for the reasons I mentioned above as well as NUMEROUS other red flag warning.

**great piece tho, author. I do enjoy your column,but, i wholeheartedly disagree**

Tena said...

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your opinion. My one child takes up a great deal of my time, so I understand your concerns.
I'm not endorsing her so much as saying as a mother, we handle so many things, often all at once. She may not SHOULD be vice president, but I think she COULD be.