Thursday, April 24, 2008

In Memory of Max

We lost Max today. He was my sister's beloved shih-tzu. She rescued him from a shelter eight years ago, wondering if perhaps he had wandered away from his home. Teresa couldn't imagine anyone willingly not wanting that adorable face, those big brown eyes, that loyal heart.

Max was the family's first dog. My parents, my sister's family, my family; none of us had pets. Max showed us the error of our ways. Max showed us what we were missing. I would have never taken a "Chance" on my much loved doggie had Max not paved the way.

He loved my sister fiercely. He wanted to be next to her, wherever that might be. If she moved, he moved. He would sit next to you, as long as Teresa was there too. But if Teresa left the room, Max would dessert you for where ever his Mommy was going. He followed her from room to room like a shadow. We laughed at his antics and marveled at his doggie devotion.

I called him "Mop Face" because he always had so much hair, even after a trip to the groomers. I teased my sister that she could dip him in water and clean her floors with him.

Max was an old man, and had been deaf for a few years. His eyes were blurry, and he could no longer get up the stairs to my sister's bedroom. She carried him up and down. He couldn't jump up on the couch any more, so his family would gently lift him.

We knew his time was near, but you are never prepared for the grim news of "it's time."

So today, as our hearts are breaking because Max will no longer be here with us, there is also a smile through our tears. He brought so much joy and happiness and laughter and comfort.

Here's to you, Mopface....you changed our lives, made it better just by what you were; Max, the dog we loved and were so glad to have in our family.

No comments: