Saturday, October 4, 2008

House Hunters

I like to watch a show on HGTV called "House Hunters." The show follows someone who is looking for a new home as they look at three potential homes, then make their choice.

My mom and I often watch the show together, or call each other after the show goes off to discuss the choices made. We make a game of guessing which house will be chosen.

I’m particularly interested in the show lately, because they could be following me around. We are hunting for a house also. There is nothing wrong with where we live now. In fact, I love just about everything about my house. It’s big, it’s in a great neighborhood, and it has a lot of features that I like.

The one thing that it doesn’t have is land; and that is the one thing my husband desires. After 15 years of living in the city because his city girl wife was raised that way; my country boy husband would like to live out in the country.

I figure after 15 years, it’s time to let him have his way for once. So, we are selling our house (hopefully) and looking for a new home to buy.

It’s been an adventure. We’ve seen little houses and big houses, cluttered houses and clean houses, and a few houses that make you wonder what the homeowner was thinking. We just about needed sunglasses in one house because the walls were all such bright colors. Then again, after someone walks through my house, they may wonder the same thing.

I never knew roosters were so popular. I can’t believe how many kitchens have roosters for their decor. My mom thinks it is because we are looking at homes in the country, and roosters go along with being out in the country. I don’t necessarily dislike roosters, but I’m not sure I like them either. I’ve never given all that much thought to roosters, but apparently someone has, because those little critters are everywhere.

I had forgotten how many people have carpet throughout their home. We don’t. Because my son has asthma, we have hardwood floors in most of our home. I’m so used to it that it surprises me every time I go into a home that is completely carpeted.

One of the first things we are looking at in the houses we see is how much flooring we will need to re-do. We’ve ripped out carpet every place we have lived for 13 years now, so we are getting to be experts at it.

It is a bittersweet time. I get attached to any place I live, because it is my home, where my family has made memories and shared love and laughter. But it is an exciting time too, because we are looking forward to this next step in our lives, to moving on and finding our next home.

It’s going to be interesting to watch this city girl out in the country. I have a feeling it will take some getting used to, because I have a lot to learn. If I run across any of those roosters, I guess I will have to see if they have laid any eggs for me. Maybe I need to ask my mom, a country girl, about that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww Tena you know ROOSTERS can't lay eggs!!!! You did know that didn't you??? LOL ((hugs)))

Tena said...

Yeah, I know. I'm a city girl, but my parents were raised in the country. I was trying to be funny, but ended up embarrassing my Mom instead. (Something I manage quite often) :)